One of the most perplexing things about Big Red is that in personal one-on-one interviews and interactions is that he is quite a jolly guy, perhaps even a funny. It is amazing to me that this does not translate AT ALL to his press conferences.
Honestly, I think the press conference thing is completely over done anyway. I don’t care what he hell the coaches or players have to say after the games, or in between. As Al Davis used to say, “Just win baby.” Look at Belichick, he is probably THE worst press conference coach in the history of sports. I’d take this any day for the production. Anyway, the point is that Reid made a recent appearance at the Sixers game and was interviewed by Matt Cord, and had some interesting things to say:
A few observations:
1. I love that Reid actively supports the other Philly sports teams. People should give him more props for this. I like a coach who truly likes all sports and knows what is going on, and I think most of us would agree. I don’t want some guy who is completely detached from what is going on in the City sports-wise. So, this is cool. However, I wonder how Lurie and Banner feel about him being a “huge Phillies fan.”
2. I love the idea of scouting Sixers for Eagles use, if only as an amusing thing to think about. However, if I’m picking a Sixer player to translate to the NFL, I’d go with Thaddeus Young, as opposed to Elton Brand (who would likely blow both knees out immediately upon football contact). Seems to me he could make for a nice possession receiver. You could run the jump ball in corner of the end zone all day long.
3. Reid as a basketball player and enforcer? Shades of Barkley. Throw it down big man!
4. From what I gathered from the interview, Reid and Collins might be kind of boys. Collins is by far the best press conference and sound clip coach I have ever seen in this City. It’s actually pretty remarkable. You are just completely glued in on whatever he is saying and immediately inspired. Now, let’s get some press conference teaching sessions going with Reid.
5. Notice Reid’s game day attire has slipped into everyday life as well? All black baby, so you can tuck away at least 12 dollar dogs while taking in the game.